Hamilton is a town located in South Lanarkshire, in Scotland.
The town was once known as Cadzow, however in the 15th Century during the time of James, Lord Hamilton, it was renamed Hamilton and holds a huge presence of the family in the town.
Still to this day the Hamilton family are major landowners in the area, and they constructed many landmark buildings including the Hamilton Mausoleum, and holds the longest echo of any building in the world.
The Hamilton Mausoleum sits on the grounds of the now demolished Hamilton Palace, which had to be demolished in 1921 due to the soaring maintenance costs. The Mausoleum was built in the 1850s for the 10th Duke of Hamilton in Strathclyde Country Park.
Cadzow Castle, which is now in ruins was built between 1500-1550, the castle sits above a gorge and it’s overlooking the Avon Water which is now named the Chatelherault Country Park.
Chatelherault Country Park was built in 1732 for the Duke of Hamilton, with a 500-acre country park surrounding the building with Scottish Wildlife. It is now a beautiful venue for weddings, events and exhibitions as well as a visitor center with a gift shop.
The Hamilton old Parish Church is a Georgian era building completed in 1734 and the only church that William Adam had ever built.
In 1791 Hamilton Parish had over 5,000 residents, and within 100 this had increased to more than 35,000 due to the coal and cotton industry growing and the new opening of the Caledonian Central Railway Station.